Module 5: Blue Zone Tools 1: Theory
There are many reasons a graduate student may need to raise difficult topics with their course instructor or supervisor. This module focuses on “Assessing” the problem context, to determine whether a conversation is the best step forward, and how best to move forward for a successful outcome. It then presents the ‘Difficult Conversation Assessment Matrix’ to evaluate the interaction between conversation substance and impact, and the strength of the relationship. Finally, this module guides students on how to best set context for an invitation in the conversation that promotes understanding on all sides.
Please view module video, slides & notes, handouts, and reflection questions below.
If you are considering having a difficult conversation:
- Why do you need to have this conversation?
- How will this conversation benefit you and the other person?
- What consequences might arise if you don’t have the conversation?
- Why do you need to have this conversation now?
- Has something kept you from having this conversation earlier?