The GSA provides support to financial partners like the Graduate Student Endowment Fund (GSEF) which offers funding for graduate student-led initiatives.
Partner Funding Programs
Graduate Studies Endowment Fund
The Graduate Studies Endowment Fund (GSEF) is a graduate student-run organization that exists to support improvements to the overall graduate student experience at the University of Waterloo. All registered graduate students make a contribution of $20 per term. With your contribution, GSEF is able to support projects like improving graduate spaces and conferences, research travel assistantships, and the 3 Minute Thesis.
Projects fall under the following three themes:
For more information on GSEF, including how graduate students can apply for project funding, please visit www.gsef.uwaterloo.ca. To find out how you can get involved, or if you have other questions, please contact the Coordinator at email@example.com.
Graduate Student Initiatives (GSI)
Graduate students are eligible to apply for funding for social or academic initiatives such as a reception, a workshop, a panel, a guest lecture, hosting a conference for graduate students, etc.
To be eligible, funding proposals must be submitted through one the following recognized parties:
- A GSA recognized graduate student association at the faculty, department, or program level;
- A social committee, consisting of three or more active-status graduate students, formed for the purpose of submitting a proposal for a graduate student initiative.
The GSA will consider funding for academic initiatives and social initiatives:
- Up to 100% of any proposal costing up to $500;
- Up to 50% of the next $500 of the proposal;
- Up to 25% of any additional amount of the proposal.
- Proposal applicants that are offered funding by the GSA must provide itemized receipts in order to be reimbursed.
- Funds offered by the GSA must be used in the term that they are offered.
How to Apply
- Apply by completing the Graduate Student Initiatives form.
- The GSA will call for proposals up to three times per term. Plan to submit your proposal according the schedule.
- The deadline for submitting a proposal will normally be two weeks from the call for proposals.
- Please submit your proposal by NOON
Period of Call for Graduate Student Initiatives Proposals
|Call for proposals (Application form opens)||Deadline for proposal submission by
12:00 PM (Application form closes)
|May 1 2021||May 18, 2021|
|June 1, 2021||June 18, 2021|
|July 1, 2021||July 18, 2021|
Timeline and Decision
- Proposals that are submitted before the deadline may be offered funding within two to four weeks.
- Late proposals will not be considered but may be re-submitted through the next call for proposals.
Right to Rescind Offer
- The GSA reserves the right to rescind any offer of funding at any time and for any reason.