The Housing Experience Survey is now closed.
Thank you to all graduate students who have completed the survey. A report of the results will be provided as soon as possible.
You are invited to participate in a survey that asks about your experience with the housing market as a University of Waterloo student.
The survey is being conducted in collaboration between the Graduate Student Association-University of Waterloo (GSA-UW) and the Waterloo University Student Association (WUSA) to identify what difficulties students may be having in relation to their housing experience and to determine how together we can support safe and affordable housing for students.
The GSA-UW aims to use the data to assist in advocacy and research efforts to bolster our recently published report on municipal housing issues for graduate students. This information will help to direct resources to action priority recommendations of the report and identify further supports to overcome grad student housing issues.
This survey should take about 20 minutes and will be available for you to complete until JANUARY 22, 2021.
Prizes for Housing Survey include: One (1) $50 gift card to a store/retailer of the winner’s choice are available to be won (1 gift card available to be won for graduate students of the University of Waterloo).
Your odds of winning are based on the number of graduate students who participate in the survey. You may decline to respond with no loss of your chance to win a $50 gift card to a store/retailer of your choice. Your name and email will be stored separately from your survey responses and deleted once the draw is complete (after the survey concludes on January 22). Any contact information collected for the draw will remain confidential. Potential winners must accurately answer mathematical skill-testing question to be declared an official winner of the prize. Gift card subject to supplier’s terms and conditions located at the back of the card.
Graduate students currently enrolled at the University of Waterloo in the Fall of 2020 who choose to provide their email at the end of the Housing Survey will be entered into a random draw to win a $50 gift card of their choice. Eligibility to receive/win incentives begins on December 7 @ 3:00 PM EST and closes on January 22.
Participation in the survey is confidential and voluntary. Participation in the survey is not required to enter in the draw. Although questions within the survey require a response before proceeding to the next, you may opt out of the survey at any time by closing the survey, with no loss of your chance to win a $50 gift card to a store/retailer of your choice.
To be included in the draw without participating in the survey, please send your name, e-mail, and University of Waterloo Student ID to email@example.com by January 22. Please note that you must meet the eligibility requirements (i.e. graduate student currently enrolled at the University of Waterloo) to be able to participate in the draw.
Selection and Prize Claim Conditions:
The potential winner of the $50 gift card will be selected in a random draw from all eligible entries received on January 22. The potential winner will be contacted by the GSA-UW by email through the selected entrant’s UWaterloo e-mail address within 5 business days of the draw. Before being awarded the $50 gift card to a store/retailer of their choice, each selected entrant must respond by the timeframe provided by GSA-UW in the email (usually within 5 business days of being contacted by GSA-UW) and correctly answer a time-limited skill-testing mathematical question which will be administered by firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to respond within the identified timeframe or failure to correctly answer a skill-testing question will result in prize forfeiture and an alternate entrant will be selected.
By accepting the prize, the winner agrees to the GSA-UW’s use of winner’s name, city / province of residence, picture, biographical information, statements, voice and likeness in any advertising and publicity the GSA-UW and its respective successors, assigns and licensees may conduct relating to the Contest in any media or format, whether now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the World Wide Web, at any time or times in perpetuity, without further compensation or notice, and hereby releases the GSA-UW and the University of Waterloo from any liability with respect thereto.
- GSA-UW and the University is not responsible for any incomplete, failed or delayed transmission of your submission due to technical difficulties, including interruption or delays caused by equipment, Internet, or software malfunction.
- All entrants, as a condition of entry into the Contest, agree to release GSA-UW and the University of Waterloo from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses of any kind to persons including death or property which may be sustained directly or indirectly with the receipt, ownership, use or misuse of any prize awarded, or for participating in this Contest.
- GSA-UW and the University reserves the right to disqualify any entry not conforming to these Rules and Regulations at any time. GSA-UW and the University assume no responsibility for entry fraud committed by an entrant and reserves the right to demand the return of the prize and all costs associated with remedying any prize awarded to an ineligible entry or entrant.
- This prize is non-taxable.
- GSA-UW and the University is committed to protecting your personal information and respecting your privacy.
We are committed to protecting your personal information and respecting your privacy. Personal information is defined as any details that will enable you to be identified, such as ID numbers, telephone numbers, address, email address etc.
When designing and executing our research, it is our policy to take all necessary steps to ensure that personal information you provide is processed fairly and lawfully. We shall keep all information involved in the survey secure and confidential.
Only authorized staff of the GSA-UW and the WUSA have access to personal information and they are obliged to respect its confidentiality. We do not sell, rent or exchange any personal information supplied by you to any third party. Nor do we use any of the information you provide for direct marketing or other non-research activities.
All personal identifying information (ID numbers, telephone numbers, address, email address, etc) are used only for the administration of prizes and/or incentives, and is stored separately from survey responses. All non-identifying survey data is used solely for evaluation and / or research purposes. All survey data are transferred and carefully stored on encrypted, password protected, secured network drive (electronic) or in a locked cabinet (paper resources). Where it is necessary to work with a third party company or organization to evaluate or analyse data results, a third party confidential and data sharing agreement is signed to ensure secure and appropriate handling of data.
It is our policy to monitor our internal procedures regularly to ensure compliance with the relevant statutory requirements in all that we do, including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the University’s commitment to privacy.
Please Note: When information is transmitted over the internet, privacy cannot be guaranteed. There is always a risk your responses may be intercepted by a third party (e.g., government agencies, hackers). University of Waterloo researchers will not collect or use internet protocol (IP) addresses or other information which could link your participation to your computer or electronic device without first informing you.
To begin the survey, click on the link below:
Please note the following:
- Public reports of this survey will include only summarized, aggregate results, ensuring that no individual can be identified.
- By submitting your survey responses, you will have the opportunity to be entered for a chance to win a $50 gift card to a store/retailer of your choice (1 $50 gift card). Odds of winning depend on number of students who participate in the survey. Math-skill testing question required. Contest ends on January 22. Open to graduate students of the University of Waterloo.
- You may decline to respond to any question by leaving it blank with no loss of your chance to win the gift card. If you wish to be entered into the draw without participating in the survey, please email email@example.com. For more information contest rules, see above.
- Some of the survey questions may include sensitive matter and could be potentially triggering, in relation to topics such as discrimination and homelessness. If you need support concerning these matters, please consider visiting the following resources:
University of Waterloo Human Rights, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
University of Waterloo Human Rights, Equity, and Inclusion Kitchener-Waterloo Community Resources
Ontario Human Rights Commission: Housing discrimination and the individual
Region of Waterloo Emergency Shelters and Transitional Housing Resources
The Working Centre Emergency Shelter Resources in the Waterloo Region
University of Waterloo Campus Wellness Counselling Services
University of Waterloo MATES
Crisis Services Canada
Employee and Family Assistance Provider (Homewood Health)
University of Waterloo Occupational Health
University of Waterloo Police