"Why Serve on the GSA-UW Board"
Second Call for Nominations: GSA Directors Election 2020
The GSA-UW is now accepting nominations for the upcoming Board of Directors election to fill seven (7) vacant positions. Official notice is hereby served for the election to fill the vacancies of the GSA Board of Directors.
The directorships terms of office are:
- One (1) directorship beginning August 20, 2020 and ending April 30 2021, and
- Six (6) directorships beginning August 20, 2020 and ending April 30, 2022.
Description of Position:
The GSA-UW Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing corporate interests of the Graduate Student Association. Directors are elected by graduate students each year at the GSA Annual General Meeting held in the Winter term.
The Board is governed by the GSA Bylaws and may consist of ten to fifteen Directors.
The Board of Directors have monthly regular meetings, and operates according to the Carver Policy Governance framework, meaning that the Board focuses on strategy and oversight, and delegates day-to-day management to staff. Directors are expected to have 15-20 hours time commitment per month. We are seeking people with not-for-profit or student government experience.
Nomination Period & Form:
- The second call for nominations will open on JULY 16, 2020 and closes on AUGUST 3, 2020 at 3:00 PM.
- Nomination forms can be downloaded here.
- Nomination forms must be submitted to the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) at firstname.lastname@example.org before the posted deadline.
- Nominees will receive a confirmation of receipt from the GSA Chief Returning Officer (CRO) within three business days of submission.
- Nominees can either use single form or multiple copies of the form to collect all 5 signatures from members nominating them. Also, digital signatures on nomination form are allowed.
Campaigning & Voting Period
- Begins on AUGUST 6, 2020 (business hours) and closes on AUGUST 20, 2020 (business hours).
- Candidates may provide a photo and a brief statement to be posted on the GSA website. (Maximum 150 words)
- Online voting: Starts at 10:00AM on AUGUST 10, 2020 and closes at 12:00PM on AUGUST 20, 2020. A notice will be sent to all eligible graduate students and they may vote once during this period.
- AGM will be held on AUGUST 20, 2020 at 4:00PM
The Board of Directors is responsible for the operations of the GSA and is accountable to the graduate students of the University of Waterloo. For information please view Board of Directors, the Association’s governance webpage, and By-Laws (By-Law#5).
Comments, concerns, and questions should be directed to the Chief Returning Officer at email@example.com.