WHY THE AGM?
As a not-for-profit corporation registered in the Province of Ontario, the Graduate Student Association (GSA-UW) is required to hold an Annual General Members Meeting (AGM). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Ontario has temporarily given corporations flexibility to hold their AGMs online, even if the By-laws do not mention online formats. The GSA-UW By-laws give all members the right to attend and receive documents such as the corporation’s financial statements and auditor’s report.
The AGM is a member’s opportunity to engage with the democratic process of their student representatives. The Board of Directors has sent the required noticed for an online AGM to be held on April 8, 2021. The Board hopes that students near and far from Waterloo can engage with their student leaders and be informed of the status and future of their GSA.
One of the most important activities of the AGM is the election to fill seats on the Board of Directors. Directors act as stewards of the GSA-UW over their two-year terms, and the Board regularly reports updates and progress throughout the year at meetings of the Council. Members are encouraged to read statements from enthusiastic candidates running in the 2021 Board of Directors election on the Candidate Profiles section.
What to expect at the AGM
At the AGM, graduate students will:
- Elect new members of the GSA Board of Directors
- Vote to approve the minutes from the 2020 AGM
- Vote to confirm changes to the by-laws
- Vote to ratify Officer appointments
- Receive an auditor report and appoint a new auditor
- Receive informational reports or presentations from the GSA-UW President, Chair of the GSA-UW Board, and the GSEF Coordinator
AGM 2021 Date & Location
The date of this year’s Annual General Meeting will be APRIL 8, 2021 at 4:00PM EST.
Due to COVID-19, the AGM will be held virtually over Zoom Meeting. Registration is required. A registration link has been sent to graduate students via email, with the subject heading “GSA-UW Annual General Meeting 2021”. Please register in advance of the meeting.
GSA Board of Directors Election 2021
Elections are being held to select new Directors for the GSA Board!
The directorships terms of office are:
Five (5) directorships beginning May 1, 2021 and ending April 30, 2023.
Voting & Proxies
Votes at the AGM will be conducted via the Vote/Proxy form. GSA-UW members will be sent an email that contains the GSA-UW AGM Notice and Vote/Proxy form. Please double check your spam folder for this email. If you have not received the link email the Chief Returning Officer at email@example.com for help. This vote link is personalized to each member and can only be used once.
Members have 3 options for voting:
- They may submit their vote “live” during the AGM. The meeting will start with Formal Business that requires members’ votes. Members may decide how they wish to vote based on the information presented, and after the Formal Business there will be a designated voting period where members make their selections and submit the vote link.
- They may submit their vote before the AGM, indicating their position on all voting topics on the AGM Agenda via the vote link. A vote submission before the meeting will designate the Corporate Secretary to serve as their “proxy”, but these votes cannot be changed from their submitted form.
- They may designate another person as their “proxy”, who will submit the member’s vote on their behalf after receiving information live at the AGM. Proxies may cast a member’s vote subject to restrictions placed on them by the member, but responding to information presented during “Formal Business”.
After the end of the Formal Business section of the AGM, it will be announced that members must submit their votes. The Corporate Secretary will validate submissions against a membership list, then tally members’ votes and tally proxy votes. The Chief Returning Officer will oversee and authenticate the votes at the AGM.