AGM 2020 Results
- All resolutions were passed at GSA’s Annual General Meeting held online on August 20, 2020.
- MNP LLP was re-appointed as auditors of the Association for the current fiscal year.
- All by-laws changes were confirmed by the Association’s members.
- All Officer appointments were ratified.
- Members elected the following Directors to serve on the GSA Board: Nastaran Mosavari, Aiden Feng, Cyrus Fiori, Nicholas Palaschuk, Thomas Storwick, Twesh Upadhyaya, Kelly Zheng. See more details here.
We thank all the members who participated at the meeting in person or cast their votes via a proxy.
WHY THE AGM?
As a not-for-profit corporation registered in the Province of Ontario, the Graduate Student Association (GSA-UW) is required to hold an Annual General Members Meeting (AGM). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Ontario has given corporations flexibility on when they may hold their AGMs, including outside of the 15-month window from the prior AGM and online even if the By-laws do not mention online formats. The GSA-UW By-laws give all members the right to attend and receive documents such as the corporation’s financial statements and auditor’s report.
The AGM is a member’s opportunity to engage with the democratic process of their student representatives. Since the regularly scheduled April AGM was postponed, the Board of Directors has sent the required notice for an online AGM on August 20th. The Board hopes that students near and far from Waterloo can engage with their student leaders and be informed of the status and future of their GSA. One of the most important activities of the AGM is the election to fill seats on the Board of Directors. One half of the Board is elected each year, and members can read statements from enthusiastic candidates on the election webpage. Directors act as stewards of the GSA-UW over their two-year terms, and the Board regularly reports updates and progress throughout the year at meetings of the Council.
Read below for a summary of what members can expect to take place at the meeting, and for documents and motions from the past and current AGM for approval.
Date & Location
The date of this year’s Annual General Meeting will be AUGUST 20, 2020 at 4:00PM EST.
Due to COVID-19, the AGM will be held virtually over Zoom. A registration link has been sent to graduate students via email with the subject line “GSA-UW AGM Notice and Proxy/Vote form”. Please register in advance of the meeting.
What to expect at the AGM
At the AGM, graduate students will:
- Elect new members of the GSA Board of Directors
- Vote on the minutes from the 2019 AGM
- Vote to confirm changes to the by-laws
- Vote to ratify Officer appointments
- Receive an auditor report and appoint a new auditor
During the AGM, a small number of informational reports will be presented, including a new 3-year strategic plan of the GSA-UW.
- AGM 2019 Minutes
- By-laws Changes
- Auditor Report 2017-2018
- Auditor Report 2018-2019
- GSA Balance Sheet at February 29 2020
- GSA Profit and Loss and Surplus Statement for the Six Months Ending February 29 2020
- Graduate Student Endowment Fund Report
- GSA-UW Strategic Plan 2020-2023
- GSA-UW Annual Report 2019-2020
Voting & Proxies
Votes at the AGM will be conducted via the vote/proxy form. GSA-UW members were sent an email on August 10, 2020 with the subject line “GSA-UW AGM Notice and Proxy/Vote form”. Please double check your spam folder for this email. If you have not received the link email the Chief Returning Officer at email@example.com for help. This vote link is personalized to each member and can only be used once.
Members have 3 options for voting:
- They may submit their vote “live” during the AGM. The meeting will start with Formal Business (view Agenda) that requires members’ votes. Members may decide how they wish to vote based on the information presented, and after the Formal Business there will be a designated voting period where members make their selections and submit the vote link.
- They may submit their vote before the AGM, indicating their position on all voting topics on the AGM Agenda via the vote link. A vote submission before the meeting will designate the Corporate Secretary to serve as their “proxy”, but these votes cannot be changed from their submitted form.
- They may designate another person as their “proxy”, who will submit the member’s vote on their behalf after receiving information live at the AGM. Proxies may cast a member’s vote subject to restrictions placed on them by the member, but responding to information presented during “Formal Business”.
After the end of the Formal Business section of the AGM, it will be announced that members must submit their votes. The Corporate Secretary will validate submissions against a membership list, then tally members’ votes and tally proxy votes. The Chief Returning Officer will oversee and authenticate the votes at the AGM.
GSA Board of Directors Elections 2020
Elections are being held to select new Directors for the GSA Board!
The directorships terms of office are:
- One (1) directorship beginning August 20, 2020 and ending April 30, 2021, and
- Six (6) directorships beginning August 20, 2020 and ending April 30, 2022.
The elections for each type of the positions above will be held separately.
[Note: If there are fewer candidates for the positions than there will be a call for nominations from the floor. The members attending the meeting live will have an opportunity to nominate themselves and vote.]